POLITIC OF GLOBALIZATION
Define ‘regionalism’ (30 words or less).
- Is the creation of regional governance structures a contradiction to globalization?
- Why is the pace of military integration different from economic integration in the EU?
- How has globalization both contributed to and been a response to regional integration? Make reference to at least two examples.
- Could the EU become a superpower in the 21st century?
- Do you think different regions of the world will develop along the model of EU integration? Why or why not?
- How does African regional cooperation compare to regionalization in Europe? Is a comparison possible and useful? Why or why not?
- Is ASEAN increasingly coming to resemble the EU? If not, why not?
- Discuss the critical views on regional cooperation and their counterarguments. Which do you find more convincing?
- What makes the European Union unique as a political body in the ‘society of states’ and how does it challenge traditional IR approaches like neo-realism and neo-liberalism?
- Is European integration ‘turbo-charged globalization’ or protection against globalization? Be sure to cover key concepts like sovereignty, citizenship, the nation-state, market liberalization, and collaboration.
- Is the European Union poised to act as a counter-balance to the US? What effect would such a situation have on the NATO Alliance and their relationship in general?
- How have major powers promoted regional frameworks to pursue spheres of interest or influence? Discuss with reference to two examples.
- To what extent do regional organizations challenge realist assumptions about the primacy of the state?