MUL1010 Music Appreciation
Written Assignment #3: What Makes a Musician “Great”?
1. Complete the A “Great Musician” table by doing and answering the following:
a. Compare any two (2) different historical periods that you have read about in this course: Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary.
b. Who are the most influential musicians of the two periods?
· Why were they so influential?
c. What are the hallmarks (unique characteristics) of their “styles”?
d. Listen to a work by each musician. Name the composer(s) and performer(s) for each period.
e. Do their works share any similarities?
f. How are they different from one another?
g. Then, offer commentary regarding the similarities and differences between the examples.
2. Write in complete sentences, to complete the “A Great Musician” table below.
3. Use Microsoft Word and run a spell check/grammar check (under the “Review” menu in Word).
4. Correct grammar and spelling will be part of your grade.
5. Then copy and paste your assignment into the Assignment Drop Box (not the “Comments” Box.)
6. All written assignments will run through SafeAssign, Blackboard’s plagiarism checking tool. Be sure to paraphrase appropriately.
7. See the Rubric for how your grade will be determined.
See Calendar for due date.
|A “Great” Musician|
|Historical Period One
|Historical Period Two
|Which historical period?|
|Name the influential musician(s) for the period you chose.|
|What are the hallmarks, or unique characteristics, of the musicians’ styles?|
|Name a musical work and composer’s/performer’s name for each period you chose.|
|Similarities between the two (2) musical works.|
|Differences between the two (2) musical works.|
|Can you think of a modern artist or song that may have been influenced by each style?|
Written Assignment #3 Page 1 of 5