IN THE NEWS…PRIVACY
discussion due tomorrow
You might not realize how often our civil liberties — particularly the right to privacy — are put to the test on a daily basis. Many of the current news stories reflect the line between a citizen’s right for privacy. Do you wonder about your privacy on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, for example? How do you feel about wiretapping and government accessing phone records? All of these concerns are things that affect our lives.
Choose a current or recent event that illustrates a privacy concern. Use and cite at least one quality news article or story. How does the article explain a theme or themes from our textbook or other class sources? Offer your opinion, thoughts or insight as well.
Some ideas of places to go for your news story:
- PCC Shatford Library POLSC 1 LibGuide链接到外部网站。
- The Hill.com (hover over News and you will be able to choose House or Senate)
- New York Times
- Politico (check out the Congress tab)
- Roll Call
- The LA Times (check out US tab and then Politics)
For your Initial Post due by Thursday 11:59 PM:
- Create a 250 word summary of your article. Make certain to include a citation. For help with citations you can check out this PCC Citation page. There are many resources to help you: Citations链接到外部网站。.
- Create 1 or 2 thought questions about the article. These should be questions that help your classmates’ think more deeply about the topic and their own perspective. Such as:
- If …. happened, what do you think would happen?
- How should the President/Congress/the Supreme Court/the American public respond to…?
- Why do you think…?
- How do you feel about…?
For your Response to at least 2 classmates due by Sunday, 11:59 PM:
- Ask for clarification (that is, ask questions) if needed.
- Respond to the thought question making certain to refer to the information in the article summary and to add your own perspective.
- Please note the discussion guidelines below. If there are topics you may have differing opinions on, it is still important to respect each others’ ideas and thoughts!