I’m trying to learn for my Statistics class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
Do undergraduates sleep less than graduate students?
A student conducted a study of sleep habits at a large state university. His hypothesis is that undergraduates will party more and sleep less than graduate students. He surveyed random samples of 75 undergraduate students and 50 graduate students. Subjects reported the hours they sleep in a typical night.
For this hypothesis test, he defined the population means as follows:
1is the mean number of hours undergraduate students sleep in a typical night.
2is the mean number of hours graduate students sleep in a typical night
- Hours: typical number of hours a student sleeps each night
Program: undergraduate or graduate Program is the explanatory variable, and the data is categorical. Hours is the response variable, and the data is quantitative.
Download the sleep2 (Links to an external site.) datafile, and upload the file in StatCrunch.
- State the null and alternative hypotheses. Include a clear description of the populations and the variable.
- Explain why we can safely use the two-sample T-test in this case.
- Use StatCrunch to carry out the test. (directions)
Copy and paste the content of in the StatCrunch output window (text and the table) in your initial post.
- State a conclusion in the context of this problem.