I’m working on a Sociology exercise and need support.
- Your original post should be in paragraph format, free of typos and grammatical errors, and at least 5-7 sentences long and two paragraphs in length.
1) Discussion Forum Question
- Log onto Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/
- Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites.
- I want you to enter a topic and then write two paragraphs summarizing what you found on google scholar. You can open one or more of the links and just do a brief summary. You can put in your own topic and you will be amazed at the amount of research that has been done. Topics could include reality TV, causes of Alzheimer’s Disease, or student loan debt. I also picked a couple of topics from the chapter and found information on self-injury and cell phone use.
2) Discussion Forum Question
- Open the following link on The Society Pages website. https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/
- Look there for a picture or an image that reflects an aspect of culture. Copy and paste your image into your answer.
- Summarize the discussion from The Society Pages with regards to the image you chose. Next discuss how this image or picture reflects 3 elements of culture which include language, norms, and values.
3) Discussion Forum Question
- The agents of socialization listed in the book are the family, the media, peers, religion, and school. Pick one your earliest memories of being socialized and describe which agent of socialization was in force at that time. You may list just one agent of socialization or you may use multiple sources.
- Find an image on the internet that relates to the agent of socialization you discuss and post it for the class. If you need help posting an image, click on ‘next’ at the bottom of this page and you will see the tutorial.
- This week’s Discussion Forum requires you to use the knowledge that you have gained regarding socialization and apply it to yourself.
4) Discussion Forum Question Discussion Forum Question
- Read the introductory story at the first of Chapter 5 discussing the Zimbardo prison experiment. People always say that they would not react in such an inhumane way. However the research from Zimbardo’s experiment was repeated in 2004 with the prisoner abuse at the U.S. run Abu Ghraib military facility in Iraq. If you are not familiar with the problem at Abu Ghraib look it up.
- For your discussion post a couple of paragraphs discussing how a particular situation can affect your reality and the way you interact with others.
5) Discussion Forum Question
- How would you react if you discovered that the government was monitoring your use of media?
- If your safety were in jeopardy, would you be willing to sacrifice your privacy? These are some of the types of issues this chapter discusses.
- Chapter 6 looks at the mass media and it’s effect on society. For your discussion this week, talk about the issue of personal privacy and the media. I also want you to choose a minimum of one term from the chapter. Identify that term with bold print in your response.
6) Discussion Forum Question
- I have two videos posted for you to watch. The first you will access by clicking on the word ‘link’ below. This video is a short clip of Milgram’s controversial video on obedience.
- Just in case you were thinking, “I would never do something like the individuals in the original experiment did” I have posted a second video where this behavior was replicated.
- The second video posted is a reproduction of that the Milgram experiment. List three factors that induce obedience to authority and discuss why we are still susceptible to this pressure to obey.
- If the links do not work, go to YouTube and find a clip on your own of Milgram’s research.
- In this week’s Discussion Forum you express your understanding of Milgram’s research with regards to group behavior.
7) Discussion Forum Question
- Pick one of the following topics:
- the student debt crisis
- poverty in America
- welfare in America
- Go to the internet and post some statistics or data and comment on what you find. Please post your references so others can check them out.