Conduct a windshield survey of Pine Ridge, SD Include the
1. Who do you see when you drive through the community—women, children,
people of varying backgrounds? What do you see–new houses, new industry,
abandoned buildings, barriers to movement, and public transportation?
Where are people congregating? Where are there no people? Visit the
community at different times of day. Does this community have activity that
ends before dark or rather starts after dark?
2. Where are the essential services located in this neighborhood? This includes
faith-based services and buildings (church, mosque, synagogues, or
temples), education/ schools, health care, and/or transportation? Are there
paved roads, sidewalks, and recreational areas/parks? Are some essential
services missing from this community?
3. What economic indicators do you observe- a “thriving” community such as
stores, employment opportunities, maintenance of the homes and streets, or
a “depressed” area such as closed businesses, unoccupied housing, lack of
young families and schools?
4. When did this area become established as a residential community? Is there
a unique history to this place that is easily known by visiting the area? Are
there recent immigrants or history of new immigrants to this community?
5. What is your overall perception of the community? What strengths/ assets are
apparent to you? Are there some possible needs you identify?