Below you will find instructions to complete an online activity related to a disease outbreak in addition to reflective questions. It will be particularly important to expand on your answers and provide evidence where indicated for the reflective questions.
Online activity related to a disease outbreak in addition to
Below you will find instructions to complete an online activity related to a disease outbreak in addition to reflective questions. It will be particularly important to expand on your answers and provide evidence where indicated for the reflective questions. This assignment should be written in essay form (please do not include the questions with your responses). The page limit for this assignment is up to 2-3 pages total (double spaced). Please keep in mind that this is an individual assignment. Please submit this assignment under the Assignments tab by 23:59.
Part I: Solve the Outbreak
1. Go to the following website: https://www.cdc.gov/mobile/applications/sto/web-app.html
FIRSTLY, Choose and complete 4 cases
SECONDLY, Screenshot your score after completing the 4 cases
THIRDLY, Out of the 4 case studies you completed, choose one and summarize the case study and your experience (what did you think about it? ADDITIONALLY, how helpful was the case study in bringing back epidemiology content from NUR 412?). The description should be at least one paragraph.
2. Go to the “Learn” tab (refer to the bottom left corner of the image above for the location of the tab) and study each tab. Choose 1 of the 4 topics below and answer the following questions in essay form.
FIRSTLY, Please write at least a paragraph per question (for one topic).
SECONDLY, Please do not cut and paste the definitions from the website.
THIRDLY, Please paraphrase and use a source other than this website (avoid using direct quotes).
ALSO, Please cite appropriately using correct APA format.
What is epidemiology, and why do public health nurses need to know about epidemiology?
Who are disease detectives, and why do you think a nursing background may be helpful for disease detectives?
What is epi curve, and why should public health nurses know about it?
What are the roles of laboratory scientists in disease outbreak? Should public health nurses work with them?
Part II: The COVID-19 Pandemic
Please answer the following questions using credible sources (see helpful links below). Please keep in mind the instructions from page one and cite your sources using correct APA format
Reflective questions (at least one paragraph each)
1. COVID-19 is now a global pandemic. As a public health nurse providing accurate and relevant information to the public is important. Discuss the following: 1) the transmission of the virus, 2) the known symptoms, 3) the groups most vulnerable to the disease 3) preventative measures. (at least one paragraph)
2. Discuss the timeline to make a COVID-19 vaccine available to public. Why are we unable to make vaccines available right away? (at least one paragraph)
3. What can you do as a public health nurse during a disease pandemic? (Think of the different roles of the public health nurse from Chapter 3. Select one role and explain how working in this capacity could be beneficial during a disease pandemic). (at least one paragraph)
4. What are the roles of government in reducing the impact of disease spread of COVID-19? (at least one paragraph)
5. What are the long-term consequences of this disease pandemic and how can we, as nurses (bedside nurses, public health nurses, or nurse researchers) take action? Provide specific examples. (at least one paragraph)
Cases in the US: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3UfT3GjN4 (Dr. Fauci is the Director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease, leading the United States’ efforts against the COVID-19 pandemic)