Understanding the Safety Data Sheet or SDS
Using the Internet:
- Obtain a Safety Data Sheet or SDS for a chemical in your workplace (or future workplace). Note: This SDS must have a date of January 1, 2014 to present in order to be acceptable for this assignment. Old MSDSs submitted will receive a 10 point reduction.
- Download the SDS as a PDF.
- IN A SEPERATE ATTACHMENT,attach the PDF to this assignment prior to submission. 10 points will be deducted if the SDS is embedded in the final report.
- In the beginning of your report, have a APA coversheet that identifies the assignment as: Understanding the Safety Data Sheet or SDS. 5 point deduction for reports without a proper APA coversheet.
- Identify the following in your report:
A. Name of the chemical
B. Who manufactures the chemical and provide the emergency contact number(s)?
C. Explain the dangers surrounding this chemical and what should be observed to prevent exposure to this product?
D. Identify all the chemical components of this product?
E. If inhaled, what would be the symptoms that may occur if over exposed to the product?
F. What are some of the organs this product could effect with over exposure?
G. Identify any special hazards that may arise from substance or mixture of this chemical.
H. In the event of an accidental spill or release of this chemical, what measures and materials would be needed to contain and/or clean up the spill?
I. List all of the materials that this product is not compatible with and should be separated from when storing the product for future use.
J. Identify any chemical components that may be classified as a carcinogen. If this product does not have any known carcinogens, indicate that in your report.
K. What is the TWA for one of the chemicals in the product?
L. Identify a engineering control that should be implemented to prevent exposure.
M. Define a flash point and indicate how that differs from a boiling point. Then indicate the flash point for this product.
N. Explain how this product is considered toxic.
O. Identify how this product can be considered toxic in the environment.
P. How would an employee properly dispose of this product?
Q. What is the UN Number for this product?
R. Google EPCRA 313 and in a sentence or two, explain what this is and how it relates to the SDS. Remember to provide a citation in your definition and reference link on your Reference list at the end of your report. No points will be awarded for this question if the citation and reference link is missing.
S. Identify the pictograms unique to this product. Cut and paste into your report 1″ examples of each pictogram for this product.
6. Provide an APA reference list at the end of your report. 10 points will be deducted for a missing APA reference list.